En australsk mann ble pågrepet midt i skogen – til tross for at han hadde kamuflasjeklær – da han forsøkte å krysse over til en annen region av Australia, noe som var ulovlig pga covid-restriksjoner.
Mannen prøvde å rømme ut av regionen Victoria, hvor myndighetene nå har fått midlertidig blankofullmakt til å gjøre nærmest hva som helst:
«These Emergency Powers allow Authorised Officers to:
- detain any person or group for as long as reasonably necessary to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health;
- restrict the movement of any person within Victoria;
- prevent any person or group from entering Victoria; and
- give any other direction reasonably necessary to protect public health.
In addition to the Emergency Powers, the Victorian Chief Health Officer may allow Authorised Offices to exercise certain public health powers where it is necessary to investigate, eliminate or reduce risk to public health from COVID-19 (Public Health Powers).
The Public Health Powers are very broad, and allow Authorised Officers to do any of the following, if necessary to do so to eliminate or reduce the risk to public health:
- close any premises;
- direct a person or group to enter, not to enter, to remain at, or to leave, any particular premises;
- without a warrant, enter any premises and search for and seize anything;
- request information, including names and addresses;
- inspect any premises;
- require the cleaning or disinfection of any premises;
- require the destruction or disposal of anything; or
- direct the owner or occupier of any premises, or any other person, to take particular actions.«